Arcade Control Bundle Pack

GBA FM Radio

Action Replay (PAL Only)

Gamebit Driver 4.5mm

ISO 7816 Dual Speed Smart Card Reader/Writer Interface

Smart Card Reader/Writer Enclosure
Sponsors

Go Back   Interesting Devices Ltd > Cable TV > American "DIGITAL" Cable
Reload this Page How to hack digital cable.......
American "DIGITAL" Cable All aspects of American DIGITAL Cable TV

How to hack digital cable.......
Old
  (#1)
Onlyme
Registered
Onlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond repute

Default How to hack digital cable....... - 10th September 2008, 04:51 PM

IT just struck me how to hack digital cable.....

On Febr 2009, they are making all "over the air" analog broadcasts, which come into the roof antennas now, as digital signals. In other words, except for CATV and satellite subscribers, all other TV signals will be mandatory digital signals! Because of this, in order to use pre-existing analog TV and VCR units, with the mandatory digital signals, you will need a digital-to-analog converter box, now being sold in store.

Since some TV broadcasters are switching over early, broadcasting both digital and analog signals right now, this converter box will pass digital signals to the analog TV sets. Also, some of them, like the Radio Shack ones, will also pass analog signals.

So this means you can use it right now, rather than wait until Febr 2009.

So how does this help hack digital CATV???

Well, it struck me that if one installed this unit, into a CATV line, it would take the CATV digital signals and change them over to analog signals. It should also take an inverted color burst signal, and change it to a normal color burst, or it would not work with analog TV and VCR units!

Inverted color burst signals is part of the modern technology to thwart cable TV piracy!!!!! It stops the older standalone black box descrambler units...

So if you can convert the digital to analog in a cable line, all you would then need to do, is build the infamous Radio Shack "universal descrambler" box. That unit has a sync restoration chip as part of its electronics.

To stop piracy, they quit the RF scrambling, and went to baseband scrambling. So what is the difference???

In RF scrambling all picture information, such as sync signals are there, for easy descrambling. But on baseband systems, they removed some of the sync signals, to thwart illegal cable descramblers. They do this because they have hidden a sync restoration chip into their baseband converters! The hidden sync restoration chip, thus restores the missing sync signals, that they removed to thwart cable pirates!!! They need those missing sync signals themselves, in order to descramble their own scrambled signals..........

So here is how it works:

The Radio Shack "universal descrambler" unit, uses a normal color burst signal, as its reference marker. Once it finds it, it will immediately, in the twinkling of an eye, restore any missing sync signals, then immediately descramble the scrambled channels.

So the flipped the normal color burst, into inverted color burst signal, to stop those infamous black boxes!!!

IT will work on ANY scrambled signal, that uses an NORMAL color burst signal.

If you want to know more, do a search for MM5321 chip, it is the secret chip that is hidden inside the modern cable TV converter boxes...

Now, a slight problem. There are no more of the Radio Shack "universal descrambler" boxes out there.

BUT, there are still some of the old Oak Sigma boxes, the early ones, that were designed for one channel descrambling, and they can be easily modified to become a channel 03 input, and a channel 03 output, and it has the secret MM5321 sync restoration chip inside the electronics!!! The Radio Shack "universal descrambler" unit was based upon this Oak Sigma descrambler box.............

Last edited by Onlyme; 10th September 2008 at 05:04 PM.. Reason: spelling error

Old
  (#2)
Baitcaster
Registered
Baitcaster is on a distinguished road

Default 11th September 2008, 01:19 AM

Interesting theory..

Are cacos really sending ALL channels through the pipe in realtime like analog used to ? I was under the impression that each unit (STB) would pull a channel based on realtime authorization, and get the datastream for that channel ONLY (hence the slight delay when changing channels)

Considering all digital providers supply phone, TV and modem service, there's a finite amout of bandwidth available. There's no feasable way for them to pump ALL that data down the line to everyone..

How are you getting past that ???

Not to start a flame war, but either you have no clue, or know more than your letting on..

I've seen more claims for the digital cable hack, and all were BS.. SO, I call BS bro..

Think I've earned that right, considering how long we both been in the game..

Bait

I talk by email....
Old
  (#3)
Onlyme
Registered
Onlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond reputeOnlyme has a reputation beyond repute

Default I talk by email.... - 12th September 2008, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baitcaster View Post
Interesting theory..

Are cacos really sending ALL channels through the pipe in realtime like analog used to ? I was under the impression that each unit (STB) would pull a channel based on realtime authorization, and get the datastream for that channel ONLY (hence the slight delay when changing channels)
...And where did you get this impression???

Considering all digital providers supply phone, TV and modem service, there's a finite amout of bandwidth available. There's no feasable way for them to pump ALL that data down the line to everyone..
Is that really correct??????? Except for the TV you mention, that is all control side, not supply side. In my area, they are taking the MMDS channels, one channel at a time, by Sprint, and sticking into that bandwidth, up to 6 cell phone channels, of which each have thousands of phone calls going on up to Sprints satellite. I know this for sure, as one of my sons worked for MMDS. It is compression and encryption.

How are you getting past that ???
Is there really a necessity to get past that?

Not to start a flame war, but either you have no clue, or know more than your letting on..
I am beyond flame wars...I do not waste time on that crap. I respond once, and I have now responded. If you have questions, send me your email.

I've seen more claims for the digital cable hack, and all were BS.. SO, I call BS bro..
Yes, I agree with you there. And that is all you will see there too.... You cannot fight or cope with digital encryption, look at the number of years guys have attacked satellite. All they have is play with byte scripts.

Better read what I posted again, before you label it as such. Up to now, you have not had any chance in the world to see a digital signal as an analog signal, have you? Now I did not make a claim that it will definitely work did I? I only claimed that I think this is a possibility...Read the post again, I think you might have not really grasped what I posted. Do you really think anyone will be able to take an encrypted digital signal, and hack it, without any ever changing password, using bytes from stored chip files??? They play in amusement with such fools! The most any of them have accomplished is to retrieve only what the original subscriber had subscribed to, on certain boxes. Is that true or false???

Think I've earned that right, considering how long we both been in the game..
I do not know how long you have been involved in this study, but I began in 1969, at its inception.

Bait
Bait,
I entered the cable TV business in 1969, and have considerable knowledge, expertise, and experience in hardware descramblers and technology. As you may or may not know, I am not fond of the methods of playing with program bytes, which prevail only because others have no expertise, knowledge, or experience with actual video descrambling.

It has been my knowledge and experience, that if you can "actually" see a scrambled picture on the TV set, then you can descramble it. If you cannot see a scrambled picture on a TV set, you are at a loss as to how to accomplish it. The opposition is aware of this, the technology is designed to render the image of scrambled channels invisible from view, and thus trapping out of channels happens. They have four methods in analog, of removing channels from view. Also VCR's and TV sets take weak signals into blue screens, and this is by design and intent, and not by mere accident.

While I have not actually, as of yet, researched it, I believe this roof antenna thing, perhaps, will take "all" over the air signals, even weak ones, and change them from digital to analog signals, and it opens up a new world of study... If I had a digital cable line, I would have checked it out. Think about it a bit.

If it will migrate into a CATV system, it should then, theoretically, take any digital signal, in the data stream, and convert it from digital to analog... I do not care how long you have been around, this is a first thing for you too. Right now, it is my theory, and it could be reality also... I do not know yet.

First things first, I want to know first, if they can see a scrambled video on the TV set, using that digital to analog converter. Buy one, try it, and see if it does. You can always take it back for a refund. The Radio Shack model, will pass analog as well as convert digital to analog.

I do not have any cable TV system, of any kind, where I live, so I cannot study this theory. That is why I prefer to work with others, they practice what I preach, and we both learn.

I do not discuss such things as you ask and leave records. If you want to discuss it, send me your email address by PM, and we will discourse.

Old
  (#4)
Tremmor
Registered
Tremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond reputeTremmor has a reputation beyond repute

Default 12th September 2008, 10:47 PM

Onlyme, i was interested in your theory and locating some boxes and requirements for the project. when i find something i will report back. its not going to cost nothing because i know some people that can help with that.
thanks
tremmor

Old
  (#5)
Onlyme
Registered

Default 13th September 2008, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tremmor View Post
Onlyme, i was interested in your theory and locating some boxes and requirements for the project. when i find something i will report back. its not going to cost nothing because i know some people that can help with that.
thanks
tremmor
Tremmor,
Great! I have great hopes, that we can bring the digital into view, as a analog TV scrambled signal. If so, then one will have a real chance to experiment with that signal. Trying to program on a secured encrypted unit, is folly in my estimation. But if it is analog, well, analog can be experimented upon, and a certain unit can do it....

They have whipped the invincible SA8610x down in Santo Domingo you know, it does not map the channels, but it descrambles both video and audio, and they rave about it. The reason they cannot map the channels into proper order is because they defeated it with an internal hardware descrambler, rather than tried to program it on with bytes in a test chip.

Hardware descramblers will NOT map channels, as that is a sole function of the data stream commands. Hardware descramblers use the video picture information in the VBI, to descramble the scrambled channels.

So I stand vindicated! It is the only place that I know that has succeeded.

Last edited by Onlyme; 13th September 2008 at 10:03 PM.. Reason: error correction

Old
  (#6)
boostman70
WAITING VERIFICATION
boostman70 is on a distinguished road

13th September 2008, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlyme View Post
Bait,
I entered the cable TV business in 1969, and have considerable knowledge, expertise, and experience in hardware descramblers and technology. As you may or may not know, I am not fond of the methods of playing with program bytes, which prevail only because others have no expertise, knowledge, or experience with actual video descrambling.

It has been my knowledge and experience, that if you can "actually" see a scrambled picture on the TV set, then you can descramble it. If you cannot see a scrambled picture on a TV set, you are at a loss as to how to accomplish it. The opposition is aware of this, the technology is designed to render the image of scrambled channels invisible from view, and thus trapping out of channels happens. They have four methods in analog, of removing channels from view. Also VCR's and TV sets take weak signals into blue screens, and this is by design and intent, and not by mere accident.

While I have not actually, as of yet, researched it, I believe this roof antenna thing, perhaps, will take "all" over the air signals, even weak ones, and change them from digital to analog signals, and it opens up a new world of study... If I had a digital cable line, I would have checked it out. Think about it a bit.

If it will migrate into a CATV system, it should then, theoretically, take any digital signal, in the data stream, and convert it from digital to analog... I do not care how long you have been around, this is a first thing for you too. Right now, it is my theory, and it could be reality also... I do not know yet.

First things first, I want to know first, if they can see a scrambled video on the TV set, using that digital to analog converter. Buy one, try it, and see if it does. You can always take it back for a refund. The Radio Shack model, will pass analog as well as convert digital to analog.

I do not have any cable TV system, of any kind, where I live, so I cannot study this theory. That is why I prefer to work with others, they practice what I preach, and we both learn.

I do not discuss such things as you ask and leave records. If you want to discuss it, send me your email address by PM, and we will discourse.
how would u go beyond 100 , with one of these boxes my father has a box and it goes from 1 too 100,,oh u might mean like the extended cable i guess i hope w2hat u say can be done

Not sure myself......
Old
  (#7)
Onlyme
Registered

Default Not sure myself...... - 14th September 2008, 07:02 PM

Quote:
how would u go beyond 100 , with one of these boxes my father has a box and it goes from 1 too 100,,oh u might mean like the extended cable i guess i hope w2hat u say can be done
UnQuote:

I am not sure myself, as I have not tried anything, as I do not have any cable system where I live. Nor have I tried those digitial-to-analog converters either.

So, you are saying your father has an digital-to-anlog converter box, and it tunes in channels 1 to 100? What brand name is that box? As I think that might be pretty good channel capacity myself.

Radio Shack sells a digital converter box, it will pass through analog signals too, unlike some of them, but only tunes in channels 1 through 69.

You see, our first goal, in this theory experiment, is to see if it will convert CATV digital into CATV analog channels, so that one can view them on your TV set. That in itself would be an accomplishment. The goal is that. If one can see a scrambled video channel on his TV set, then one has a chance to descramble it. One has no chance to descramble digital signals, as they are encrypted.

But, analog TV signals, are not encrypted. Or at least I do not believe they can be encrypted. Encryption has to be in the part of the signals, that includes the authorizations. I think encrypting the video signals would be kind of hard to do. The control has to be inside the actual cable box! If they were encrypted, you could not see them on the TV set.

For example, if they manufactured a "plain jane" TV converter/tuner box, which had the ability to tune in a digital signal, it would not have the "trap out" controls inside it, so you would presumabley see the "non-trapped" out signals, but a television set, cannot see digital image signals, as they are ones and zeros. Only when they are converted back to analog signals, would the pulses be seen.

The way a CATV cable box works is, after the signal (analog) is received, it is first demodulated, so that the carrier is removed from the analog signals. Then inside what is called the I.F. (intermediary frequency) section of the electronics, one could cut that I.F. line, and stick in a internal descrambler board, and then descramble the I.F. signal. Then after it is descrambled, it could then be sent on, as a non-scrambled signal, into circuits that would again re-modulate the signal, then it would exit as a viewable TV signal.

Now the Radio Shack "universal descrambler" works differently. It is a "add-on" descrambler, called a "standalone" descrambler, it is a single channel descrambler, rather than an I.F. descrambler. It is designed to descramble one channel, and one channel only, and that channel is channel 03.

So, the theory is, if you can take a digital signal, and change it to an analog signal, then have that analog signal, exit as channel 03, then the battle is 98% won. At that time, the circuits of the Radio Shack descrambler, will seek out the normal color burst signal, and use it as a reference marker, to mark the VBI signals. Then it will begin to reconstruct any missing sync signals, once any missing signals are re-constructed, they enter the descrambling section, and are descrambled. That National Semiconductor MM5321 chip, was amazing. So amazing that other manufacturers contracted with National Semiconductor, to take its circuits and incorporate the circuit and hide it inside a LSI (large scale integrated) chip. That way they could thwart pirates, by removing vital sync signals from the RF VBI stream, and without them, no one can descramble them.

The MM5321 chip, was used in the original Oak Sigma units, in fact, in the first two series models, series #1 and series #2, it is there, with its markings as MM5321. In the last two revisions, series #3 and series #4, it disappears from the board, and is then hidden in other chips!

The invention of Oak Sigma, was the basic of the design of the VCII (videocipher 2) that Ma/Comm used, to design the infamous VCII. I think Ma/Comm bought the patents from Oak Communications just before they went out of business. Then Ma/Comm sold it to General Instruments. General Instruments, was purchased by Motorola, and Motorola owns it all. ...and the rest is history!

This patented technology, can be licensed to other manufacturers, and still owned and retained by Motorola. Motorola makes the microprocessors, and keeps those particular ones secret. They only release data sheets on the others that are sold to public. Do a search and try to find data sheets and technical sheets on this Motorola chip, MC68HC05SC24, or SC11, or SC21, or SC21B, or SC2x, or SC3x, or SC3y. If you find "anyone" of these, and I have searched for 2years now, send me a copy... Or search for the application notes AN436/D, or the Engineering Bussetins EB401/D, EB402/D, EB403/D, EB404/D, EB405/D. Send any of these to me, as I would like to study them... I cannot find them anywhere. They do exist, just are not out there. There is a Russian library that has them, but I cannot seem to pull them out of there.

All of today's cable box manufacturers, and today's satellite box manufacturers, are using the sync restoration chip. Some are using encryption in the control circuits. I have spent some time researching patents. I have even read the patents on Scientific Atlanta's "X" series boxes. I know the chip they are using, and it is Motorola's chip.

I have the information on the MM5321, in .pdf format, if anyone wants a copy, send me your email address by Private Message, and I will email it to you for study.

Old
  (#8)
rijxu
New Here
rijxu is on a distinguished road

Default 14th January 2009, 03:56 PM

All of today's cable box manufacturers, and today's satellite box manufacturers, are using the sync restoration chip

Are you sure about this ?? then by restore the sync you've bypassed the card >cam encryption Interesting if it is it, when sat digital receivers come in I've dreamed about this theory

Pretty sure, cannot commit to 100%, but 99.999%.
Old
  (#9)
Onlyme
Registered

Default Pretty sure, cannot commit to 100%, but 99.999%. - 14th January 2009, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijxu View Post
All of today's cable box manufacturers, and today's satellite box manufacturers, are using the sync restoration chip

Are you sure about this ?? then by restore the sync you've bypassed the card >cam encryption Interesting if it is it, when sat digital receivers come in I've dreamed about this theory
In the old days, when I cut my teeth on cable TV, they used RF signals. Which meant that the entire signal, was sent down the coax line. Scrambled in some way of course, but nothing deleted from the sync signals.

Yes, the card/cam methods, are related to control of authorized descrambling, so that the authorized subscriber units can descramble it. In scrambling today, you have subscriber control, and you have the descrambling controls, both are intricate, and both related. One controls authorizations, as pirates are addicted to trying to turn on manufacturers boxes. In the old days, pirates were smarter, they ignored the manufacturers units, and built their own descramblers, which went after the sync signals.

You see, they have to have sync signals in order to descramble their own scrambled signals! But they hide the descramble information, so you have a hard time finding it, and in some cases, some of the sync signals are removed, so they are missing, so you either have to re-contstruct them, or you fail!!! They HAVE to do the exact same thing!

Then the pirates were figuring out things, as they could "see" the scrambled picture. If you can see it, you can descramble it. It is a matter of timing signals and descramble information, find out what they are using to determine the timing, and then link your descrambler unit to it.

So to continue the story, next came Oak Industries, with their first Oak Sigma boxes. This unit was the ancestor for all of today's modern descramblers!!! And it was the first patents of that modern method of descrambling. Of course, they have changed things a bit now and then, but still stick to that theory. The Oak units, were set up for UHF. They were a single channel descrambler, and inside the first two models, was a MM5321 sync restoration chip. Do a search for it, and read it. I include the search info below:

Method and apparatus for scrambling and descrambling video signals in a multichannel system
Document Type and Number:
United States Patent 4511919
Link to this page:
hxxp://www.freepatentsonline.com/4511919.html
Hamlin, a RF cable TV descrambler maker, was the first assignee of this patent.

Then Oak Industries, in its Oak Sigmas, in the first two models, had that MM5321 ship showing up, with the chip manufacturers name on the chip. I have some of those units in my storage. Then in models 3 and 4, they "hid" that chip, inside a LSI chip. I have all four models still in my possession, called Run 1, Run 2, Run 3, and Run 4. So what I am saying is they hid the technology of the entire MM5321chip, into a larger MCU chip. Slick huh? The story continues...

Then along came Ma/Com, who made VideoCipher II satellite descambler. At that time, Oak had purchased the MM5321 technology, and Oak was in financial difficulity. So Ma/Com bought it from Oak. Then they stuck that technology into VCII. How do I know? I know. I was involved in that too.

Then along comes General Instruments, and they bought Ma/Com, lock, stock, and barrel. Somewhere in the lock, stock, and barrel, they bought the MM5321 technology. You figure it out. If not, read on....

Okay, when they got rid of RF scrambling, they went into Baseband scrambling, where they did not send all the sync signals. Now it is digital signals. Also they began trapping out the video coming through their cable TV converters. This is the theory, "if you cannot see the scrambled video, you will have a much harder time trying to descramble it"! Also the same with satellite TV converters. No more scrambled video on the TV set, and VCR units went Blue Screen. Conspiracy? Most likely.

So if they do not send 100% of the sync signals out, where do they get the missing sync signals? Well, simple, read the .pdf file on MM5321, and you will know that. And if you do not want to read it, I will explain that too...

The MM5321 chip, used a normal color burst signal, as a reference marker, so all the cable TV/satellite TV converters had to do, is have a sync restoration chip hidden inside another chip, it looked for the color burst, used it as the beginning of the sync signals, then restored any missing sync signals, then immediately with 100% sync signals, thus the timing was there, their hardware descramblers could descramble it....

So the pirates, built their own standalone descrambler unit, with their own MM5321 sync restoration chip in it. I have that information too, as I built them too. It was published in Radio Electronics magazine, and thus had the name of the Radio Electronics Universal Descrambler unit.

Now others made up Jim Borden's 3 chip internal descrambler boards, and stuck them into plain jane converters, and affixed the name of Universal Descramblers to those units too. But these are really not Universal, they just go after those sync signals to descramble them, by finding the right VBI line number for the descrambler information... But that is another story!

So to counter it, they begun flipping the color burst signal, out of normal burst, into inverted burst. So the Radio Electronics Universal Descrambler unit, no longer could descramble it, as it needed a normal (not inverted) color burst. But some guys put a pre-flip circuit in front, flipped it back into normal, and continued to use those units... But Baseband destroyed that unit... It needed RF to work!

So now you know the secret. They have now hidden the descramble information that always is present in the VBI (vertical blanking interval) lines, by shifting it to different lines, and other counter measures. They have to keep ahead of the pirates....

Oh, as an addition, I will say that Scientific Atlanta has patented the ability to invert every other VBI line, and has the patent to reverse the descramble information, to make it harder to descramble...Do a search on patents, read them, and you will be astonded to see the future descrambler counter measures still yet to surface...

Last edited by Onlyme; 14th January 2009 at 06:55 PM.. Reason: modify link.....